Friday, October 31, 2014

90's Brown Lips: Three modern takes

In a recent post I talked about the mauve lip trend that's been all the rage this season. Today we're talking about another lip look that is growing in popularity for fall, 90's Brown lips.


The inspiration:



90's fashion and beauty trends are popping up all over the place lately. What better way to compliment your flannel shirt than with some brown lipstick? Here are three ways to recreate this totally 90's look with a modern twist:

Gerard Cosmetics Lipstick in 1995

  




This is the most matte and the most brown of the bunch. This color was created in collaboration with Jaclyn Hill for Gerard Cosmetics. She totes it as a Kylie Jenner dupe but I think its darker than Kylie's Mauve lips look. The formula is supposed to be a creamy matte. I wouldn't say that it was creamy but it wasn't totally drying on the lips either. I'd say the formula is that of a typical matte.


Milani Lipstick in Naturally Chic

  



This lipstick is a neutral brown with a bit of red. This is one of their cream formulas which is hydrating and provides a hint of shine. Its a great natural color that is really comfortable to wear.


Maybelline Creamy Matte Lipstick in Touch of Spice

  



This is part of the new Maybelline Creamy Matte collection that has come out for fall. This isn't the usual matte lipstick you're used to. The formula is matte in finish but the texture you feel on your lips is buttery smooth and glides on your lips with ease. This particular color is the darkest and most dramatic of the three. It is a darker brown with a hint of pink. Its a beautiful color that is noticeable without being too loud.


MAC Lip Pencil in Whirl



Of course we can't talk about 90's lipstick without lip liner! Lately I am a lip liner convert. It really helps define my lips while also extending the staying power of my lipstick. In the 90's lip liner was all the rage but it got a bad rap due to people wearing a liner that was about 5 times darker than their chosen lipstick, for example:




Today we're back to using lip liner in the more traditional sense of matching it with our lipstick. I choose MAC Whirl to pair with each of the three lipstick shades. MAC describes the color as "Dirty Rose", its a matte brown pencil that has a hint of pink.




I get so excited about 90's trends. It is really the first beauty/fashion revival that I've experienced the first time around! I've been rocking these three lip combos for a few weeks now and I'm really loving the look. Its a step outside my normal lipstick realm of nudes and pinks, but in a good way. If you're a fan of darker lips this time of year than I'd say this 90's trend is for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment