Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Holiday Decor & the First Big Snowstorm of the Season

Its beginning to look alot like Christmas! This weekend was the first big snow storm of the season.  We really didn't do much so I decided to put some finishing touches on our holiday decorations and snap some pictures to share.  We'll start with the main event, the Christmas Tree:


 
 
I am a firm supporter of real trees.  I love the smell, the color, going to pick it out, everything.  Its just such a nice experience that kicks off the holiday season.  This year we tried a new cut your own farm that was AMAZING! So many trees to choose from! To top it off there was a dusting of snow on the ground which made it so pretty.
 
 
 
 
Ok, back to the decorations.  We changed up the tree decor a bit this year and did a red and silver theme.  We used only red and silver bulbs and then draped silver beaded garland all around.  Then we added all of our "random ornaments" which are made up of sovineer ornaments from places we've been, handmade ornaments, and ornaments that we had growing up.  Heres a few of my favorites:
 

 
 
We got the adorable wedding cake ornament as a wedding gift.
 
 
 
 
This is from the gift shop of the resort where we got married. My parents gave us this the Christmas before our wedding.
 
 
 
 
I made this from our first Christmas Tree. My parents used to do this.  I planned on making one every year...fail. Oh well, its a nice keepsake from our first Christmas at the house.
 
Heres some of the other decor around the living room:


 
 
My aunt got us this adorable Clothtique Santa a few years ago.  Look at the Dachshund pulling Santa in the snow! Adorable.
 
 
 
 
This is our other Clothique Santa who is living on top of our hutch putting the star on top of the tree. 
 

 
 
This was my grandmother's nativity scene.  I love how colorful it still is and its very old.  I have it on one of the side tables next to our couch.  I wish we had a better spot for this since the pieces get knocked over alot because it is so close to the ground and the dogs bump into it when they're playing. But for now we are enjoying it here.


 
 
Here is a shot of our table.  I'm in love with the mercury glass trees! I am a sucker for some mercury glass. They are also LED candles that flicker in different colors.
  

 
 
The centerpiece is a glass bowl with a candle in the middle and some bells all around.  I had planned on making this in my big glass hurricane.  But, by the time I got around to putting it together I realized that the hurricane was trapped inside the hutch! The only spot for our Christmas Tree in the living room is in between the table and the hutch, see the first picture.  To retrieve the hurricane would've meant moving the already decorated christmas tree, which would've been just too much work and a big mess. So, I improvised with this little glass bowl I picked up at Michaels in the candle section and a red and white polka dotted votive from Pier 1.  I actually really like the way it turned out! Bonus, the bells jingle a little bit when you walk by.
 

 
 
Piper was alot of help with the decorating..
 

 
 
Since we were snowed in for the night I took the opportunity to paint some Christmassy nails.  I used Essie Going Incognito and OPI Goldeneye on the accent nail, or party nail as my sister calls it.


 

We ended up getting about a foot of snow.  Dale lives for the snow! Here he is chasing snowballs the next morning.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Heres a shot of our front door after the storm.
 
Hope everyone is enjoying the Holiday season!
 
 
~Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment